School of Mechanical Engineering
Dr. Ming Dong is an associate professor of Department of Mechanics, Tianjin university. He is also a Marie Curie research Fellow in Department of Mathematics, Imperial College London during 2016.2-2018.1. His main research interests include Fluid dynamics, Applied Mathematics and related engineering applications. He is currently looking for MSE/PhD students who are interested in fundamental science and mathematics.
- BS| Tianjin University| Mechanics Engineering| 2003
- PhD| Tianjin University| Fluid Mechanics| 2008
- MSE| Tianjin University| Fluid Mechanics| 2006
- Application in engineering: fundamental aerodynamic problems involving aeronautics and astronautics.
- Fluid dynamics: hydrodynamic instability, laminar-turbulent trasition, supersonic boundary-layer theory, direct numerical simulation and modeling of turbulence, and aeroacoustics.
- Applied Mathematics: asymptotic theory.
- Editorial board member of 'Physics of Gas'.
- Member of American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (2013-), American Physics Society (2015-) and European Mechanics Society (2016-).
2010.7-2019.12Department of Mechanics | Tianjin University | Associate Professor
2016.2-2018.1Department of Mathematics | Imperial College London | Marie Curie Research Fellow
2013.9-2014.9Department of Mathematics | Imperial College London | Visiting Scholar
2008.3-2010.6Department of Mechanics | Tianjin University | Lecturer
-  Ye, M. and M Dong*(2017). Near-wall behaviors of oblique-shock-wave /turbulent-boundary-layer interactions. Appl. Math. Mech. -Engl. Ed. First online. DOI 10.1007/s10483-017-2248-6
-  Qin, H. and M. Dong*(2016). "Boundary-layer disturbances subjected to the free-stream turbulence and simulation on bypass transition". Appl Math Mech-ENG. 37(8): 967-986.
-  Wu, X*. and M. Dong (2016). "Entrainment of short-wavelength free-stream vortical disturbances in compressible and incompressible boundary layers". J. Fluid Mech. 797: 683-728.
-  Wu, X*. and M. Dong (2016). "A local scattering theory for the effects of isolated roughness on boundary-layer instability and transition: transmission coefficient as an eigenvalue." J. Fluid Mech. 794: 68-108.
-  Dong, M.*(2016). "Interpretation of gas-film cooling against aero-thermal heating for high-speed vehicles". Appl Math Mech-ENG. 37(12): 1615-1630.
-  Dong, M. and X. Wu* (2015). "Entrainment of short-wavelength free-stream vortical disturbances into boundary layers." Procedia IUTAM, IUTAM_ABCM Symposium on Laminar Turbulent Transition 14: 96-104.
-  Dong, M. and X. Wu* (2013). "On continuous spectra of the Orr-Sommerfeld/ Squire equations and entrainment of free-stream vortical disturbances." J. Fluid Mech. 732: 616-659.
-  Dong, M.* and H. Zhou (2013). "A simulation on bypass transition and its key mechanism." Sci China Phys Mech Astron 56(4): 775-784.
-  Dong, M.* and X. L. Li (2011). "Problems of the conventional BL model as applied to super/hypersonic turbulent boundary layers and its improvements." Sci China Phys Mech Astron 54(10): 1889-1898.
-  Dong, M. and H. Zhou* (2010). "The improvement of turbulence modeling for the aerothermal computation of hypersonic turbulent boundary layers." Sci China Phys Mech Astron 53(2): 369-379.
-  Dong, M. and H. Zhou* (2010). "The effect of high temperature induced variation of specific heat on the hypersonic turbulent boundary layer and its computation." Sci China Phys Mech Astron 53(11): 2103-2112.
-  Dong, M., Zhang, Y. and Zhou, H.* (2008). A new method for computing laminar-turbulent transition and turbulence in compressible boundary layers—PSE+DNS. Appl Math Mech-ENG. 29(12): 1527-1534.
-  Dong, M. and H. Zhou*(2008). "Inflow boundary condition for DNS of turbulent boundary layers on supersonic blunt cones." Appl Math Mech-ENG. 29(8): 985-998.
-  Dong M. and X. Wu, Generation of convective instability modes in the near-wake flow of the trailing edge of a flat plate, in 8th AIAA Theoretical Fluid Mechanics Conference. 2017, American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics.
-  Dong, M. and X. Wu* (2016). Local scattering theory and the role of an abrupt change on boundary-layer instability and acoustic radiation. AIAA P., AIAA-3194.
-  Dong, M. and X. Wu* (2015). Acoustic radiation due to scattering of a T-S wave by nonlinear roughness in a subsonic boundary layer. AIAA P., AIAA-2015-2626.
-  Dong, M. and X. Wu* (2013). On continuous spectra of the Orr-Sommerfeld/ Squire equations and entrainment of free-stream vortical disturbances in the Blasius boundary layer. AIAA P., AIAA 2013-2465.
- Honors & Awards
-  Marie Curie Fellowship, European Union Research and Innovation Program H2020 (2015)
-  Outstanding Paper Prize in mini-symposium 'turbulence and instability'', the 8th National Conference of Fluid Mechanics (2014)
-  Peiyang Scholar Award of Tianjin University (2013)
-  Excellent Presentation Prize at the Sixth International Conference on Nonlinear Mechanics (2013)
-  Excellent Paper Prize for the paper published in 'Physics of Gas' (2012)
-  Outstanding Paper Prize for the paper published in 'Physics of Gas' (2011)
-  Ming Dong's students Hong Qin and Mingsheng Ye were awarded the 'Outstanding Theses for Master Degree in Tianjin University' in 2016 and 2017, respectively.
-  Excellent Supervisor Award in Tianjin University for supervising undergraduate theses (student Fufeng Qin) in 2012.